Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Allergy Testing

Sorry for the Pictures you are just going to have to turn your head!

As many of you know, I have been very frustrated with really just one thing that seems to NEVER go away......My left ear has been plugged for over 2 1/2 years. And it just never seems to ever want to pop. Talk about FRUSTRATING!! I can hear out of it, it just sounds cloudy. To kinda give you an idea of what I hear....put your hand over you mouth in a fist and talk in it. That's what it sounds like in my left ear. To make things worse I can't sleep on my left side because it plugs my ear more. Then it takes me half the day trying to get it to were it normally is.

I have tried to go to a doctor up here in Rexburg, but he didn't do much at all. Then I heard of a doctor in IF and he is great. The first time I saw him he hadn't heard of this at all. An ear being plugged for this long. He said that we are going to try a lot of different things until we find out what is making it so it wont un-plug. So we have tried a number of different things and yet nothing has worked. He did a scope through my nose to get to my ears and found out that I had massive swelling. Not good news. He then wanted me to take an Allergy Test to see if I was allergic to anything and that was the reason for it not popping.

The Allergy Test was not really like I thought it was going to be. I get there and the nurse pulls out 6 trays full of little bottles. She then grabs a hand full of shots. She gives me 5 shots to start off with. They aren't fun to get. Just to give her an idea of the reactions that I might have. It could have been worse. I felt burning and itchy......real bad....I really wanted to scratch my arm so bad but I couldn't. This is the after getting the first shots......



Then came the first round of shots... What they do is they give you a dosage of everything. Meaning cotton, grass, sage weed, rag weed, pollin....ect. Then if you have a big enough reaction they stop. But if you don't then they give you a higher dosage until you have a reaction, and if they give you the highest dosage that they have and you still didn't have a reaction then you aren't allergic. I thought that I wasn't going to have that big of a reaction, and I was right..all it was was more burning and me wanted to scratch it nothing new from the first 5.....





Until the second round of shots came. Let me tell ya....NOT FUN. After she gave me the shots she left the room for ten min. to see if I had a reaction. The doctor came in and we joked it was fun. I was having more of a reaction (which is good and bad. Good for we aren't just throwing away money for no reactions, and bad because we now know that I am allergic to something). Then the Nurse came in just a couple of minutes later. Good thing too. While she was taking the measurments I was starting to have a hard time breathing and started to develop a cough. I wasn't looking like my self so she had the doctor come in right away. He said I just talked to you a little ago and you don't look good anymore. While she is doing this I am now Wheezing for air and coughing non stop. He then instructed the Nurse to give me a couple Antihistamines right away, have me take a couple "puffs" of an inhaler, and to give me an epi pen. Yep that's right, thats how bad of an reaction I had to the Allergy Test. After this kind of reaction, they stopped the test and are going to have me come back another day to finish it. This time getting tested for Dusts and Molds....YEA! They said that they get this kind of bad reaction once maybe twice a year. Lucky me, I was their one this year! Hopefully I will try to not make it two!



After all this I ended up getting 55 shots just in my right arm. I hope that with finishing the test I wont end up have 55 more in my left arm!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! looks painful. I had one done about 1 year ago... I think I had about 50ish shot and I didn't react to any of them. Good luck with things, maybe now you can start to feel better now that you know what is causing it!

Fay Call said...

Jared and I both read this and were sick for you! I can't believe you had to go through this much and to have an anyphlactic on top of it! Hang in there, I can't imagine the pain you're going through with it!

Gail B said...

holy crap Syd. that is crazy. im glad you are ok. good job on the pics though. keep us posted.

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Holy crap that SUCKS!! You're one tough cookie! Let us know what they find out- that is crazy!

Leslie Girl said...

OH MY HECK GIRL!!! That looks serious! I'm tellin' ya...call Doris!

Carissa said...

Oh Sydney. That doesn't look like fun at all! Hopefully you start feeling better soon!

The Pearsons said...

Oh my gosh Sydney, my heart goes out for you. Are you sure that's legal to give that many shots to one person at a time .... hope everything gets better very soon. Tell Jon and Carson Hi!!!

Kirsti said...

OH that's terrible! I'm soooo sorry. Hopefully from all this you will be able to get through another season without feeling so crummy all the time! Good luck on round 2-- and tell Jon shots means ice cream

Parrish Family said...

Syd! That looks way too painful! When is the follow up? Man you are in our prayers. Just hang in there and hopefully they will figure out what is causing the problems!

Melissa said...

I would pass out from 55 needles! Scary stuff, I'm glad you're okay. At least now they might know what it is that is causing your ear problem- hopefully. Best wishes for the next tests.
-Melissa Evans

Rhonda said...

Ouchie! That does not look fun. Good luck with everything, keep us updated!

Milan Maternity said...

Okay, Syd, those are gross, and so crazy! I can't believe that! So give us the update already! We need to hang out with you guys sometime soon.

Amy said...

That looks/sounds like the WORST thing ever!! Oh I am so sorry you had to go through that, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. Okay, Carson is an absolute DOLL!! He has the cutest little face in the world. What a fun fam you guys are!

Stacey Jensen said...

Owie, owie, owie!! I hate shots! Man I am excited I found your blog. Check mine out when you can. Love you guys.

Leslie Girl said...

I am SO glad that Doris was able to help you!! As to your other question...today is the first day of my 7th month...woo hoo!! Call me sometime so we can have a play date! 569-8758